Position: Senior Manager
The FEGGE project aims to improve economic prosperity of female and male feminist SMEs and small entrepreneurs (SEs), promoting gender equality and climate-smart business in the dryland regions of Tanzania, using a feminist business approach to an improved and gender-equitable business environment.
The Senior Manager – Implementation, will be the Technical Lead for the value chain and finance components of the Project. Responsible for leading and building capacity within the operations team on technical value chain approaches, including value chain financing, to ensure effective implementation of market systems development strategies and project performance targets. Responsibilities include building capacity of local staff and partners in value chain and market systems development approaches in the context of the project’s specific sectors and sub-sectors; serve as the principal liaison between MEDA and the local financial service partners, including banks, micro-finance institutions and other financial service / value chain actors.
- Oversee the operational components of the Value Chain, Finance and (Small and Medium-Sized Enterprise) business development approaches, in all different targeted regions by the project.
- Have a strong understanding of a market systems approach to implementation.
- Help build capacities of local staff and partners in value chain and market systems development.
- Ensure effective and efficient management of the Operations officers’ team in the field within project’s compliance with planning, monitoring, evaluation, performance, and reporting as established and defined by the relevant contracts and by MEDA’s standards.
- Assist the Country Director in setting bases, in managing, developing, and monitoring the project to obtain all expected results, to achieve performance targets and sustainability of the project.
- Assit the Country Director in executing Country Strategy and ensuring alignment with regional and /or corporate strategy,
- Support strict budgetary adherence and monitoring.
- Work with Project Management team to set up grant pipelining, awarding, monitoring, and close out protocols.
- Establish a grantee and partner monitoring system.
- Ensure positive relations with donors are maintained, as well as with other local development organizations, local governments, and the business community.
- Ensure positive relations with colleagues and develop teamwork spirit.
- Manage relationships with Key Facilitating Partners and grant partners, ensuring positive relationships are maintained and targets achieved.
- Ensure quarterly reports are submitted and reviewed on a timely basis by working in collaboration with Finance and M&E colleagues,
- Ensure and adhere to all MEDA management, professional, finance, audit, legal, human capital, security, corporate and other policies as required
- Undertake a program of planned visits on a regular cycle to the project sites as well as those with all partners to ensure mutually beneficial outcomes are achieved.
- Submit regular reports, coordinate, and work closely with the Project Manager in Tanzania.
- Experience in managing a team of staff, as direct reports.
- Apply MEDA’s values in all activities —cultural sensitivity, equality, transparency, and integrity in all relationships.
- A minimum of seven years’ (10 preferred) experience implementing value chain/economic development projects including managing teams to deliver economic growth outcomes.
- University degree (ideally Masters) in business, international development, enterprise development, economic development, agriculture, or related field.
- Strong understanding of and proven experience in women’s economic empowerment programming in a development context
- Strong understanding of competitive market environments; inclusive subsector development, business development, marketing, and facilitation of value chain development and M4P approaches.
- Strong understanding of business decision making in competitive market environments; inclusive subsector development and value chain development facilitation methods.
- Understanding of the principles and mechanisms for value chain financing.
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize stakeholders and lead and facilitate collaborative processes.
- Proven and adaptable interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills. Ability to communicate with individuals professionally and effectively at various levels.
- Good leadership skills with ability to work as a catalyst and facilitator.
- Direct private sector experience is desirable.
- Sector experience in agriculture/agribusiness is desirable.
- Relevant post-graduate qualifications.
- Fluency in both English and Kiswahili
- Prior work experience in Tanzania and specifically in the drylands and semi-arid regions of mainland Tanzania
Appreciation and support of MEDA’s values, mission and purpose
This is a local position and partial for a female candidate
Method of Application
To apply, please send your current Curriculum Vitae, with at least three references with current e-mail and telephone contacts, with a cover letter describing your interest in the position and area of preference.
Send your application to Human Resources at any of the following: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Women are strongly encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The deadline for submitting the application is 30th July 2021.