Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. Plan has over 80 years’ experience and works in more than 75 countries across the world. We strive for a just world, working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners.
Plan International has been working in Tanzania since 1991. Our work supports marginalised children and youth, especially adolescent girls, to grow up physically and mentally healthy and ready to shape their future. We create an enabling environment and empower girls to be active drivers of change in realising their rights. We prioritise working with partners, and ensuring all of our work is evidence based
The position exists to coordinate the Advocacy processes in line with the Global Strategy and Country Strategic Plan to ensure Plan Tanzania is represented effectively. This will also include communicating Plan Tanzania’s best practices to all key stakeholders (internally and externally) including communities, partners, donors, sponsors and Government through employing relevant communication channels.
The position will support the advocacy and communication within the organization and closely liaise with the Head of Child Protection and Gender.
Dimensions of the Role
- The Advocacy and Communication Manager may represent Plan International Tanzania at various platforms and promote the Plan International Brand as a child centered community development organization. S/he has the role of being the Public Relations Agent of the organization. The role involves dealing with the media and verifies that all correspondence by any Plan Tanzania staff member with the Media is per the organization’s policy and standards. The Advocacy and Communications Manager role also includes interacting with Partners and Communities to ensure appropriate messages are relayed.
S/he will develop and implement a strategy and budget for engaging diverse audiences, from Plan International staff, multilateral institutions, national government authorities to the general public.
S/he is expected to have the ability to write, influence and advocate with a passion for children rights and equality for girls.
Policy & advocacy
- Advise on policy and political analysis to inform on advocacy strategies and projects
- Coordinate delivery of internal and external policy and advocacy briefings and materials
- Coordinate influencing initiatives and position Plan International as a go to agency on child/youth-led development in Tanzania through evidence based policy analysis and advocacy
- Delivery of advocacy strategies in line with program and humanitarian context objectives
- Identify and engage with the government and relevant stakeholders in opportunities that contribute to long term goals and objectives for policy and advocacy work at relevant levels
- Monitor and influence policy processes in order to identify emerging opportunities for policy and advocacy work through the National Development Plans and the Sustainable Development Goals
- Build effective internal and external working relationships
- Coordinate and conduct capacity building to staff and partners on influencing
- Identify potential risks in conducting influencing activities and ability to identify possible mitigation plans
- Work with the Head of Communications and Advocacy to design and implement a country program advocacy and influencing strategy
- Take lead and guide on strategic engagement with the media at National level, regions and district/ward level
- Oversee the compilation and dissemination of information from all Plan International offices (Country Office, PU and Project offices) to monitor and ensure messaging consistency and content to be in line with Plan Global and Country strategy and policies
- Take lead to facilitate special visits to the field, stakeholder or meetings with Ministers or government officials
- Ensure appropriate Plan branding is utilized in all communications.
- Oversee the preparation and dissemination of high-quality development educational /IEC materials for PU’s and Projects