|East African Community (EAC)|
The East African Community (EAC) is the regional
intergovernmental organization of the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of
Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, the Republic of Rwanda, the
Republic of Burundi and Republic of South Sudan with its headquarters in
EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and
cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of
East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production,
trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly
motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East
African Community Partner States (Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda and South Sudan) to apply for the following position below tenable at East African Health Research Commission (EAHRC):
PRINCIPAL KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT OFFICER (1 post) (REF: EAC/HR/2020-21/36)
Principal Health Officer (Knowledge Management) is responsible for
establishing mechanisms for generating, capturing, synthesising,
assessing, sharing, disseminating, accessing and utilising knowledge to
solve health challenges and support the development aspirations of the
Community. The position requires frequent communication and interaction
with all stakeholders and partners involved and/or supporting knowledge
management within EAC Partner States and internationally such as
government policy makers, health managers, health workers, health
researchers, health research Institutions, health related professional
associations, development partners, other stakeholders and the public in
general. The Principal Health Officer (Knowledge Officer) will work
under the supervision of the Deputy Executive Secretary (Research) to
provide technical expertise on Knowledge Management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Management) will deliver the following duties and responsibilities in a
manner that is consistent and cognizant of the EAHRC philosophy:
- Facilitate the creation of health research databases to strengthen health policy and practice.
- Promote the application of knowledge from research to strengthen regional health policy formulation and practice.
- Facilitate the development of regional health policies and their implementation.
- Facilitate and promote the synthesis, interpretation, and utilization of health research findings.
- Facilitate the exchange and dissemination of health research
information through conferences, workshops, publications and other fora.
- Promote community outreach activities in implementation of research findings.
- Establish and maintain a harmonized network of morbidity and
mortality registries for all diseases, illnesses and conditions which
may occur at community, health facility, district, national, and
regional levels within Partner States.
- Establish and maintain health research archives, e-library, registries, databases, etc. that will be utilised by the Community.
- Oversee the proper and effective functioning of the ICT
infrastructure, the journal (EAHRJ), the East African Open Science
Cloud, the EA health information Web portal, the East African Health and
Scientific Conference & International Health Exhibition and Trade
Fair and other conferences
- Initiate budget proposals for the KM Department;
- Prepare progress reports and follow up on the implementation of
Commission, Sectoral Council on Health and Council decisions by the
- Promote a positive corporate culture and image of the Commission.
- Perform any other relevant duties and responsibilities as may be
assigned by the Deputy Executive Secretary (Research) from time to time.
Academic qualifications and experience
- Master’s degree in Health Sciences
(public health, health administration, epidemiology, biostatistics,
public health administration systems);
- A post graduate qualification in knowledge and health information system management;
- Holding a medical degree is an added advantage
- Relevant working experience of at least
ten (10) years in knowledge and health information system management or
related fields with five (5) of which must at senior level;
- Must have published at least two (2)
articles in international peer review journals, with at least one (1)
article as the first or lead author.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and competency in knowledge and health information system management;
- Ability to develop integrated results
oriented annual work plans and other organization-wide activities
(setting objectives, developing strategies, budgeting, developing
policies and procedures, and organizing the functions necessary to
accomplish the activities);
- Should have extensive and demonstrable
knowledge of health research and the translation of results of health
research into health policy and practice;
- Proficiency in computer office applications and automated statistical analytical tools and/or related packages;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Should be fluent in the English language;
- Working knowledge of French and or Kiswahili will be an added advantage;
- Excellent communication and report writing skills;
- Ability to work as a team leader and to motivate others;
- Ability to work under pressure and to deliver on the set deadlines
employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to
apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified
academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport
in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference
number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
Please note that EAC does not require
candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for
interviews will be done in writing.
all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates
(certification by a recognized higher education body in the respective
Partner States) and employment records.
Website : www.eac.int