The East African Community is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of South Sudan and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Sudan and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community-Secretariat.
PROCUREMENT OFFICER (1 Post)
Organ : EAC Secretariat
Grade : P1
Office : Directorate of Human Resources and Administration
Job reports to : Senior Procurement Officer
Duty Station : Arusha, Tanzania
Main Purpose of the job:
To implement the procurement policies and processes by providing Procurement Services to EAC.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Initiate Preparation of Annual procurement Plan
- Receive and Review requisitions for clarity adequate specifications/ to ensure that bidders will be able to respond to the quotation appropriately
- Receive and process Purchase requisitions from User Departments
- Group the requests and into homogeneous categories and identify sources of supply
- Originate tender documents for approval
- Assist user departments in getting specifications and Terms of Reference right.
- Consolidate and prepare recommendations for award
- Initiate draft notification of awards and regret letters
- Prepare procurement transactions and provide a liaison link between suppliers and user departments
- Follow-up and expedite deliveries
- Update and maintain a database of suppliers
- Update and maintain records of all Procurement Transactions
- Initiate preparation of Annual Procurement Report.
- Forward certified invoices to Accounts for payment
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration/ Procurement and Supplies or equivalent
- Diploma in Procurement/ Purchasing and Supplies or equivalent beyond bachelor’s degree is an added advantage .
- Minimum five years of relevant practical experience in the field of Procurement for Goods and Services
Skills and Competencies:
The ideal candidate should demonstrate competence in use of standard Computer applications such as Ms Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Good Customer Relations, Negotiation skills, effective Communication and Report writing skills. Excellent written and Verbal communications in English and Kiswahili.
Proficiency in the application of IT systems such as SUN systems/ SAP or Oracle Financials will be an added advantage
Eligibility for applications:
Applicants from all EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once .
This position is subject to the application of the Quota System .
The established posts offer attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
- Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned position are advised to :
- Fill in the application form attached EAC application form;
attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified academic certificates , and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Friday, 11th June 2021.
1. You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
2. Applications which do not :
have EAC application form;
indicate nationality and age;
have the reference number;
or have an application letter attached;
have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
3. Only qualified candidates will be contacted
4. EAC Staff Rules and Regulations preclude considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing.
A due diligence will be conducted for all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates (certification by a recognized higher education body in respective Partner States) and employment records .
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha – Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190