|East African Community (EAC)|
The East African Community (EAC) is the regional
intergovernmental organization of the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of
Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, the Republic of Rwanda, the
Republic of Burundi and Republic of South Sudan with its headquarters in
EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and
cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of
East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production,
trade and investments.
This is an exciting opportunity
for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of
East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Sudan,and Uganda) to apply for the following position below tenable at Lake Victoria Basin Commission (LVBC):
ECONOMIST/PLANNING OFFICER (1 post)
Reports to : Deputy Executive Secretary (Projects and Programmes)
Station : LVBC Secretariat Headquarters, Kisumu, Kenya
Main Purpose of the Position:
LVBC Economist/Planning Officer will be one of the key members of the
Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation team and will play a key role in the
strategic planning and all development aspects of the Commission.
Duties and Responsibilities:
lead in the preparation of the Commission Annual Work Planning) linking
with the EAC Development Strategy and LVBC Strategic Plan.;
- Initiate and coordinate investment planning for the sustainable development of the Lake Victoria Basin;
innovations in the design of LVBC Programmes and Projects, their
organization and management to improve the Commission outcomes/outputs
and ensure the synergy and compatibility among the projects;
key role in identification, analysis for emerging economic trends and
problems and opportunities at regional level in the basin;
- Plan for the Commission high level events in harmony with the global EAC Calendar of events;
the LVBC Management in ensuring active involvement and participation of
the civil society organizations and the Private Sector in the various
developmental aspects of the basin;
- Collect, review and analyze data for use in investment plans, reports and policy recommendations;
for the implementation of strategies for information dissemination and
feedback on the Commission’s activities to end users and /or
- Promote a positive corporate culture and image of the LVBC and the EAC;
- Any other duties as shall be assigned by the Executive Secretary or his Deputies.
Qualifications and Experience:
advanced University degree (Masters) in economics, development
economics, macro/micro economics and complex development issues or
- At least 8 years of progressively responsible
experience in initiating; designing and planning economic development
programmes in a busy government or private sector organisation; at least
3 years should have been at senior level;
- Knowledge of multilateral or bilateral development agencies, procedures and operations
Skills and competences:
technical skills in economics; established track record of excellence
in analytic work on economic and investment issues;
- Competence in the use of standard software MS office software;
to present and win support for ideas, maintain collaborative work
relations with all levels of staff, senior government officials, promote
and maintain a productive and cooperative team environment, proven
ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams and in multi-culture
- Sound knowledge of development issues in Africa, particularly the EAC Partner States will be desirable;
with programs and Projects design, including the M&E information on
project specific development outcomes, interventions and implementation
- Fluency in English.
Eligibility for applications:
Applicants from all EAC Partner States are eligible to apply for the above position.
fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance,
education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national
accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is
applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to
do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner
employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to
apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the
- Fill in the application form attached (download from here);
- attach their application letter, a detailed CV, Copies of certified
academic certificates, and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport
in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
- Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
- For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference
number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
- have EAC application form;
- indicate nationality and age;
- have the reference number;
- or have an application letter attached;
- have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates;
- or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
Please note that EAC does not require
candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for
interviews will be done in writing.
all successful candidates in respect of their academic certificates
(certification by a recognized higher education body in the respective
Partner States) and employment records.
Website : www.eac.int