LEGAL COUNSEL & COMPANY SECRETARY
Dar es Salaam , Tanzania
City: Dar es Salaam
- Provide legal services to support company’s specialized legal matters and projects and to provide strategic direction in managing Legal Risk concerned;
- Manage drafting and vetting and negotiating legal documents;
- Advise the Company’s on any changes to such regulation and impact thereof of the Company;
- To ensure that the company’s operates to high standards of conduct and to meet all regulatory requirements, laws of the Country and code of conduct so as to protect and enhance the reputation of Company’s with its regulators and to avoid significant financial loss.
- Review legislative, regulatory and governance developments that may impact the Company’s
- To ensure timely and accurate registration of all documents of the company’s so that any complications in the process are quickly addressed;
- To act as a legal consultant to the Board and other staff;
- To liaise with the Company’s external attorneys in the conduct of court cases and all legal matters.
- To review progress of outstanding litigation and liaise with and manage external lawyers and advice management and the Board accordingly.
- To liaise with debt collectors and auctioneers in the conduct of recovery matters;
- To ensure that the company’s records at the company’s registry are complete and up to date;
- Draft and or review such policies which are required to promote good corporate governance in accordance with the best practices;
- Review legislative, regulatory and governance developments that may impact the company and ensure company is appropriately briefed on such;
- To manage and ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
- To provide legal protection and risk management advice to management especially on contract Management.
- To review and draft contracts, agreements and internal policies and ensure that they are in compliance with all statutory or legal requirements.
- Assist with all corporate funding initiatives including not limited to – due diligence reviews, negotiating legal terms and drafting and vetting corporate finance agreements and ancillary documents and proving instructions to attorneys for local law opinions (if need be);
- Prepare weekly, monthly and quarterly reports for the department, Management and Board meetings.
- Review all contracts or any other documentation where the Company has committed itself and assess legal implications that need to be brought to the executive management’s attention.
- Assist in providing continuous leadership, supervision, training and development of department staff ensuring an effective and motivated team.
- Keep the the company is informed of new or changes in legislation and ensure that company is compliant with all regulatory and legal requirements;
- Maintain and manage a panel of external legal service providers, debt collectors and auctioneers; provide instructions to them when required on behalf of company, manage costs associated with external providers;
- Design, implement and oversee processes and mechanisms for the effective delivery of legal advice, opinions and responses to legal queries.
- Ensure that best practices are adopted, guidelines complied with, and that activities comply with the applicable laws, rules and regulations in a consistent manner within company
- Dissemination and communication of any new regulatory developments applicable to the Company;
- Assist in management of the departmental budget, ensuring expenditure within set parameters;
- Ensure financial losses are reduced;
- Manage all Company secretarial duties in the Company
Academic & Professional experience:
- LLB undergraduate degree from an accredited University;
- A Master’s degree will be an added advantage; and
- Must be an Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania.
- At least three years legal experience with a proven track record in contract negotiation and drafting, litigation and recovery matters;
- Proven track record of providing accurate and effective legal counsel;
- Proven track record of adding value to an organisation through the development of comprehensive contract documents that mitigate risk and penalties;
- Knowledge of Tanzania’s Legal requirements and environment;
- Good communication skills to maintain good internal / external relationship.
- Strong leadership and managerial skills;
- Excellent relationship management and communication skills necessary for interaction with the Judicial system and negotiating parties;
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and experience with, laws dealing with government and/or commercial contract administration, particularly contract negotiation, preparation and administration;
- Ability to provide independent advice (orally and in writing) to senior level management on highly technical matters;
- Demonstrate success in managing and conducting a variety of litigation matters;
- Good planning and organization skills; and
- Proven ability to delicately solve sensitive matters.