Information Management Officer
Host entity UNDP
Country United Republic of Tanzania
Duty station Dar es Salaam (TZA)
Language skills English, Swahili
Start date Immediate
Duration 6 months
PAST PAPERS ZA DARASA LA 7 MPAKA FORM SIX | NECTA AND MOCK EXAMS 1988 – 2019. CLICK HERE!
- Minimum age: 22 years old. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
Description of task
UN Volunteer will work under the supervision of the UNDP Resident
Representative and Deputy Resident Representative, in the key functions
listed below. He will also work closely with the Regional Information
Management Officer, as part of the UNDP-UNV Tandem Teams Initiative.
Summary of key functions:
- Data Capture, Management and Analysis
- Data Visualization, Reporting and Application
- Technical Support
Data Capture, Management and Analysis:
- Identify key data gaps for informed crisis risk tracking in the country.
- Propose a strategy and implementation plan for capturing required primary data
- Develop a process for and understand primary data gathering (e.g. designing and conducting periodic perception surveys)
and integrate additional primary and secondary data into the Crisis
Risk Dashboard as required by evolving needs including the development,
implementation and management of new indicators and corresponding data
that are associated with the crisis risk model;
revisions and improvements to the overall design framework and data
requirements for the risk tracking system, using as the key tool the
Crisis Risk Dashboard (CRD) – a purpose-designed platform developed by
CRU for online information management and data visualization – and
ensure content is current, comprehensive, and follows relevant metadata
Data Visualization, Reporting and Application:
and update information products such as maps, charts, and infographics
by turning data into graphical products to convey messages and a
storyline as well as support strategic and operational decision-making;
ways of presenting crisis risk profiles and early warning more
effectively through visual representations (charts, graphs, tables and
diagrams) through the CRD;
- Provide technical assistance in
translating data and other program information into easy visual
representations, in accordance with data visualization best practices;
operational information on a regular schedule to support analysis and
design and implement sustainable information management and
dissemination systems for data collections for the CRD, where required.
Training and Technical Support:
substantive input on information management toward the development of
guidance and training materials in support of the Country Office /
Country Team application of the CRD;
- Provide maintenance and
end-user technical support in issues relating to the CRD information
management use, including troubleshooting for data entry and access to
the existing database;
- Provide technical assistance in order to
build capacity of staff on how to integrate data visualization
approaches into their work as well as how to update and monitor existing
 A UNDP-UNV initiative whereby international experts are working closely with NUNVs to support UNDP COs.
NEW TANZANIAN JOBS, INTERNSHIPS AND VOLUNTEERING OPPORTUNITIES 2021 (1,149 POSTS)
Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent
Education – Additional Comments:
university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in information
management, information systems, social science or related.
Required experience: 36 Months
minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience in
information management, information systems, geographic information
systems (GIS), database development, web management, visualization, or
other related areas;
- Strong experience in conducting primary research, particularly in crisis contexts;
managing information in international development or humanitarian
context as well as relevant experience within the UN system is highly
- Strong knowledge of best practices for data visualization and dashboards;
- Experience in providing excellent client/customer services;
and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to the
management of information in an international development or
- Ability to conduct data collection using various methods;
analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and
analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of
various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet,
intranet and other databases;
- Ability to quickly establish and
maintain effective working relations with people of different cultural
backgrounds and languages.
English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Swahili(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise: Public information and reporting
Area of expertise details:
understanding of designing and conducting primary data gathering and
research including survey design and implementation, facilitating focus
groups, research interviews, etc.;
- Looks at experience critically, drawing lessons, and building them into the design of new approaches;
strong analytical and research capabilities, including the ability to
produce high quality reports and knowledge products;
of UNDP’s mandate, systems and tools in the area of conflict prevention,
disaster risk reduction, environment/climate change, crisis
preparedness and response;
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking;
- Makes the case for innovative ideas from the team with own supervisor;
- Designs management systems based on established best practice;
- Formulates strategy for the implementation of systems;
- Review systems performance to support rigorous development of systems standards and modes of operation;
- Ability to coordinate and conduct trainings, ensure knowledge management, identify and share best practices.
- Promoting ethics and integrity, creating organizational precedents;
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Creating an emotionally intelligent organization;
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning;
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking.
Driving license: No
Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Communication,
Creativity, Integrity, Professionalism, Technological Awareness, Working
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile.
Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
CHECK SCHOLARSHIPS OPPORTUNITIES TO STUDY ABROAD CLICK HERE!
is a national UN Volunteer assignment, therefore only nationals of
Tanzania and legal residents in Tanzania with a residency permit, the
status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to
Candidates with long-term experience are encouraged to
apply. Provided that the respective requirements are met, the assignment
might be considered as UN Volunteer expert (15 years of experience),
including 40% additional VLA or as UN Volunteer Senior Expert (15 years
of experience incl. international experience), including 100% additional
Application deadline: 28th January, 2021
Volunteer opportunity PDF