Positions: Research Scientists (3 Posts)
Reports to: Principal Investigator
Work station: Dar es Salaam
Apply by: January 29th 2021
Project: Developing and Strengthening Data Science Capacity
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
Almost all malaria-endemic countries lack experienced modelers to develop and maintain model-based decision tools for malaria control and elimination. In addition, they lack data scientists with the programming capacity to manage and explore data that informs these models. IHI is looking for qualified candidates to join the Data Science team which is mandated to develop and strengthen the required capacity for local scientists as well as to work on mathematical modelling, machine learning, Artificial Intelligence (AI), software programming, and in data management & analysis related projects. The broad objective is to prepare a team of qualified data scientists who can eventually work on various projects in the country and beyond to support efforts geared to eliminate infectious diseases.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Execute different Data Science tasks in relation to health while acquiring the required skills.
- Participate in training in order to understand the biology of infectious diseases (especially malaria).
- Work on data management and analysis related to mosquito studies.
- Work on several projects to acquire skills on computer programming, machine learning, and AI.
- Work on the improvement of existing Vector Control Optimization Model (VCOM) framework.
- Participate in grant application to support masters and/or Ph.D. programs.
- Provide support to undertake different reviews related to infectious disease modelling projects.
- Participate in writing reports, scientific manuscripts, and other outputs to disseminate results in technical working groups, and in local & international conferences.
- Assist with any other duties as directed by Principal Investigator.
Qualification and Experience
- For the Research Scientist Post: Holder of MSc degree in computer science, computer engineering, engineering, mathematics, health informatics or any other related discipline.
- For the Research Officer Post: Holder of BA or BSc degree in computer science, computer engineering, engineering, mathematics, health informatics or any other related discipline.
Skills and Competencies
- Proficiency in data analysis packages, e.g., Python, STATA, R, MATLAB.
- Proficiency in statistical software (R is a plus).
- Strong data management and data analysis skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written English, with good presentation skills.
- Experience in developing web-based database applications.
- Ability to work independently, within interdisciplinary teams, and as part of a team on large research projects.
- Having some knowledge on mosquito biology and infectious diseases in general is a plus.
- Must have ambition to join MSc and PhD program in related field.
- Mathematical modelling experience is a must for candidates applying for Research Scientist position.
- Experience in developing mobile applications.
- Experience in publishing in international peer reviewed journals is a plus.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered as per IHI salary scales. Potential opportunities to join MSc and PhD in and outside the country, and short term training at the Marshall Lab – University of California Berkeley and at the Swiss TPH.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with a personal/motivational statement; their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the address below.
All e-mail application subject lines should indicate by specifying the position applied for. For example: APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF RESEARCH SCIENTIST – DATA SCIENCE CAPACITY BUILDING
Human Resources Manager,
Ifakara Health Institute,
Kiko Avenue, Mikocheni,
P. o. Box 78373,
Dar es Salaam
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
The deadline for this application is January 29th 2021.