Management and Development for Health (MDH) is a non-profit, non-governmental organization whose primary aim is to contribute to address public health priorities of the people of Tanzania and the world at large. These priorities include: communicable diseases such as HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria; Reproductive, Maternal, New-born and Child health (RMNCH); Nutrition; Non-Communicable Diseases of public health significance; as well as Health System Strengthening. MDH strongly believes in and works in partnership with various local and global institutions, Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MOHCDGEC); President’s Office Regional Authorities and Local Government (PORALG); donor agencies; academic and non-academic institutions; implementing partners; civil society, community-based and faith-based organizations and others
In this regard MDH now invites applications from suitable, qualified and skilled persons to fill the following available vacancies.
Afya Kwanza Project Vacancies; December 2020
Position: FINANCE MANAGER
Project: AFYA KWANZA
Location: MDH HEAD OFFICE, DAR ES SALAAM
Reports to: SENIOR FINANCE MANAGER
Reporting to the Senior Finance Manager, this is a hand on position and the incumbent is responsible for the smooth operations of the finance department, and the provision of effective financial management service. S/he is responsible for the preparation of all Organization financial statements both for management and for external use (donors). The Finance Manager works in full compliance with all applicable donor rules and regulations and country’s laws. Timely and accurate Finance reports to both Management and Donors. S/he also supervises Accountant Officers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting the Senior Finance Manager on overall day to day effectiveness of finance functions, and the management of monthly accounting circle and routines of both, the field offices and the head office.
- Examine financial data and reports for accuracy and compliance with policies and procedures. Includes of special donor reports like PROMIS Expenditure Analysis, DATIM Expenditure reporting etc.
- Ensure the application of sound financial management by ensuring that there is a proper coding system to track budget and expenditures; developing and reviewing chart of accounts to meet organization and donor financial and accounting requirements.
- Develop and implement accurate Project Funds management strategies.
- Assist the Senior Finance Manager in the development of budgets and implement budgetary management strategies, ensuring that project activities budgets are properly coded and properly reflected into the accounting system through coding. Expenses are properly tracked and managed against the budget.
- Ensuring that commitments/financial obligations are properly tracked and paid for within the stipulated deadlines.
- Assisting Project managers in program decision making and planning by analyzing financial aspects of the various projects/grants so that managers can determine the best use of the limited resources.
- Assist the Senior Finance Manager in auditing (internal auditing, external auditing, and special audits) and in meeting compliance issues raised by donors, government, SOPs, and other contractual obligations.
- To ensure that timesheets and Level of Efforts are properly calculated and charged.
- To ensure year end processes are properly carried out accrued and prepayment schedules are produced and reconciled with the trial balance/financial statements, year-end adjustments are performed and financial statements are prepared based on the general accepted accounting principles.
- Ensure all pre-audit activities are completed accordingly i.e. preparation of Fund Accountability Statement, Audit file is opened and include all documents, all Finance files are properly kept, maintained and no file is missing during any review or audit. Give full support to the Auditors during Financial audit by retrieving the documents and responding to audit queries timely.
- Ensure Fixed Asset Register is up to date and verifications are done annually.
- Ensure timely submission of quality and monthly financial reports i.e PMM reports, Liquidation report, Accrual report, Expenditure analysis report and all other reports which will be assigned.
- Building capacity to the staff on compliance with various donor rules and regulations including local and international.
- Ensure there is good cash flow and that the program has sufficient funds in the bank account, Tigo pesa and petty cash for various program activities. Fund draw down to the PMS should be done on time. Weekly financial updates and projections should be done on all projects and ensure they support the programs weekly activities.
- Ensure fund reconciliation is done on weekly basis for all projects and agreed to the bank reconciliation and bank account balance.
- Ensure MDH is working within Budget for all projects. Proactively drive cost cutting measures within the projects.
- To supervise the Accountant Officers.
- To do any other work-related duty as assigned by the Senior Finance Manager/DOF/COO/CEO.
Requirements. Education, work experience and skills
- University Degree in Finance, Business Management or Accounting
- Professional qualification such as CPA or equivalent, and registration with NBAA with experience of accounting and financial management is an added advantage
- At least 5 years’ experience in Managerial role on accounting/ financial administration
- Proven expertise on International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS)
- Proven expertise in overseeing the management of donor grants for a complex donor funded development programme and developing budgets
- Developing project, personnel and administrative budgets and work plan
- Ensure compliance with the laws, regulations, agreements, contracts and requires of the government and donors
- Monitoring project expenditure and make appropriate recommendations
- Preparing financial reports
- Skilled in financial administration, book keeping and accounting processes including use of accounting software
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a dynamic team
- Excellent interpersonal and high level communication skills to interact with various stakeholders (local and international)
- Self-starter, with strong multi-tasking and problem-solving skills
- Must be very dependable, focused, accurate and detail oriented
- Must be honest and trustworthy, able to maintain confidentiality in financial and employees/vendor records, respectful and depicts sound work ethics
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in English and Swahili
- Knowledge of non-profit accounting principles, analytical skills and close attention to detail
- Knowledge of and experience in the public health sector will be a distinct advantage.
- Advanced computer literacy in Excel, Word, Power point & Outlook
- Willingness to travel to health facilities for activities related to the Programme from time to time
Interested candidates should submit an application letter indicating clearly the position applied for, a detailed copy of their CV, and names and contact information (email addresses and telephone numbers) of three work related referees.
Applications should be submitted by 11th January, to the Director of Human Resource through e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.