|Forestry Development Trust|
Jobs in Tanzania 2020: New Internship Opportunities at Forestry Development Trust (FDT)
Do you want to be your own boss? You can become a service provider in the growing commercial forestry sector in Tanzania
Overview of the Commercial Forestry Sector in Tanzania
plantations cover a total area of 554 500 ha which is 1.2% of the total
forest area of Tanzania mainland. Out of this, the government owns
about 95 000 ha, private industrial plantations 40 000 ha and the total
area of private woodlots is about 419 500 ha (MNRT, 2015).
PAST PAPERS ZA DARASA LA 7 MPAKA FORM SIX | NECTA AND MOCK EXAMS 1988 – 2019. CLICK HERE!
More recently a new group of upward mobile Tanzanians based in urban cities (Domestic
Investors) have entered the commercial forestry sector. It is estimated that there are at least
Tanzanian investors who have established forest plantations/woodlots in
the Southern Highlands of Tanzania. This segment of investors own a
total area of at least
- ha, worth more than 138 billion Tanzania
Shillings (60 million USD). Most of these individuals have limited
forestry knowledge and operate through Service providers who manages
these woodlots on their behalf. Despite the scale and amount of money
invested, majority of the plantations/woodlots owned by the urban based
investors are of low quality due to use of low quality planting material
and poor silvicultural practices. The risks facing these investors
present an opportunity for service provision that motivated
entreprenuers could leverage for sustainable returns. While there have
been some form of service delivery to urban investors, this has been
marred by low client confidence and trust in existing service providers
due to absence of contractual agreement. Forestry Development Trust
(FDT) aims to improve quality of forestry service delivery by
capacitating and positioning potential service providers service.
CHECK SCHOLARSHIPS OPPORTUNITIES TO STUDY ABROAD CLICK HERE!The following are some of the challenges which service providers are expected to handle for urban based investors:
- Land tenure arrangements for their tree plantation investment.
- Site-Species-Market matching advisory
- Provision of quality planting materials and seedlings
- Plantation establishment and management practices.
- Market intermediationand marketing services for their trees.
The above and relationship with clients will be managed through legally enforceable contracts
How to Apply
Write a short proposal not exceeding two A4 pages based on the following questions:
- How would you deliver the above services?
- What strategies will you employ to recruit and retain your clients?
- How will you position your business for profitability and sustainability?
Submit your proposal not later than 14 days from the date of appearance of this advertisement to Pelezi.Ruffo@gatsbyafrica.or.tz and copy Emmanuel.Sangalali@gatsbyafrica.or.tz
a careful screening process and interview, successful applicants with
the most innovative ideas will have access to the following:
- Mentoring by experienced FDT staff for a period not exceeding six months.
- Learning about the commercial forestry sector in Tanzania.
- Practical exposure to latest silvicultural advances in commercial forestry.
- Capacity building and mentorship in business development and entrepreneurship.
- Learning about services relevant to commercial tree growers
- Exposure to potential clients through promotions and awareness creation events
Terms of FDT support
note that this is not employment but rather an internship and
mentorship support for self motivated individuals to become commercially
successful service providers delivering services to diverse tree
growers in Tanzania.
We Seek Male/Female Candidates with the following Qualifications:
- Diploma/Degree in Forestry / Marketing from a recognised institution.
- Strong business and entrepreneurial passion, practical business experience will be preferred.
- Ability to multi-tasks in a fast-paced business environment.
- Computer literate (MS-Word and Excel).
- Desire to become a service provider in commercial forestry.
- Willingness and passion for field work.
- Self-motivated, innovative, independent, entrepreneurial mindset, good communicator, team player, diligent and hardworking.
About Forestry Development Trust
Forestry Development Trust (FDT) is an independent institution
established in 2013 by the Gatsby Charitable Foundation, with a
Memorandum of Understanding with the Ministry of Natural Resources and
Tourism. The Trust aims to transform the commercial forestry sector in
Tanzania by facilitating market system changes that build
competitiveness, inclusiveness and resilience. For more information
visit our website: www.forestry-trust.org
The deadline for submitting the application is 30th November, 2020.