VACANCIES AT THE INTERNATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS
UNION (ITU) IN GENEVA
The Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority (TCRA), is quasi-independent Government body established under the Tanzania Communications Regulatory Act No.12 of 2003 to regulate communications and broadcasting sectors in Tanzania, on behalf of International Telecommunications Union (ITU) a world-wide organization which brings government and industry together to coordinate the establishment and operation of global telecommunication network and services hereby invites applications from suitably qualified Tanzanians to fill the following posts:-
Functions: IT Administrator
Post Number: TD24/P2/354
Deadline for application submission to TCRA: 29th June, 2020
Vacancy Notice No. 22P-2020/BDT-DDR/EXTERNAL/P2
Duty Station: Geneva, Switzerland
The Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) is responsible for the organization and coordination of the work of the Telecommunication Development Sector (ITU-D) of the Union which deals mainly with ICT-focused development policies, strategies and programmes, as well as technical cooperation activities, to promote digital inclusion and drive digital transformation at community, country and regional levels. To effectively and efficiently serve the needs of ITU members, BDT is organized into four functional areas:
Office of the Deputy to the Director and Field Operations Coordination Department
Partnerships for Digital Development Department
Digital Networks & Society Department
Digital Knowledge Hub Department
The office of the Deputy to the Director and Field Operations Coordination Department is responsible for advising and supporting the Director on the direction and management of the Bureau. It is also responsible for leading all matters related to personnel, strategic, financial and operational planning and reporting processes. The department oversees the work of the Regional Offices, ensuring proper delegation of authority and accountability of the Regional Offices. This department coordinates the holding of BDT conferences and events, monitors the implementation of decisions emanating from the World Telecommunication Development Conference (WTDC), the Telecommunication Development Advisory Group (TDAG) or Council, and cooperates closely with the other Sectors of the Union and the General Secretariat on matters of relevance to BDT and the overall work of the Union. BDT Regional Directors report to this department.
Duties / Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Head of the IT Support Service (ITS), the post role is to improve connectivity and electronic working methods in BDT Headquarters and in the Field Offices. The incumbent performs the following duties:
- Identifies, evaluates and manages all IT/Telecommunication (hardware, software, mobile) procurement orders for all BDT staff (Headquarters and Field Offices). Identifies the functional requirements of BDT staff and with a complete understanding of the technical restrictions imposed by the Information Services Department (IS) or Field Office, liaises with hardware and software partners to assess functionality of the system and purchases the optimal hardware/software solution in a cost-effective manner. Verifies and follows-up on installation and configuration of the systems by experts. Provides advice to IS and ITS regarding the impact of proposed hardware/software solution.
- Installs, manages and maintains the Electronic Working Methods meeting tools and services. Designs, tests, manages and delivers projects in the field of development and maintenance of Electronic Collaborative Tools. This includes gathering and documenting the requirements from business users, designing the workflows and interfaces, implementing the design and deploying the solution while training the business users.
- In collaboration with the IS Department, coordinates all hardware, software, IT equipment configuration, Internet Service Provider, local IT support company and procurement for the Field Offices. Maintains an inventory of all IT/Telecommunication hardware for individual staff (Headquarters and Field Offices). Manages a pool of IT equipment for the BDT to ensure continuity of work. Manages mobile phone subscriptions for all BDT staff (Headquarters and Field Offices). Manages all IT/Telecommunication related aspects of change management.
- Is the focal point for all incoming second level support from the Service Desk. Troubleshoots, identifies, documents and tracks the problem, assigning the Service Desk ticket to the appropriate ITS staff member who is responsible for the service/application causing the problem. Liaises with Service Desk on the status of tickets and when to close them. Provides second level support for specific BDT IT/Telecommunications issues.
- Provides first level support, troubleshooting and training for ITU-D delegates and BDT staff in the use of Electronic Working Methods collaborative tools. Prepares training material and conducts training to all BDT staff (Headquarters and Field Offices) for all aspects of BDT IT/Telecommunications.
- Coordinates trainings with HR and IS Departments. Prepares the necessary user guides for all BDT staff. Prepares and maintains system documentation for all aspects of BDT IT/Telecommunication. Maintains various lists, information pages, procedures and developed software programs for any of the aspects of BDT IT/Telecommunications.
- Provides support in designing, developing and implementing collaborative tools, including web support, and workflows for all BDT staff (Headquarters and Field Offices) including organizing information in the collaborative platform and implementing processes that streamline and simplify information management and collaboration.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Core Competencies: Applying Expertise; Effective Communication; Learning and Knowledge Sharing; Organizational Commitment; Results-Focused, and; Teamwork and Collaboration.
- Essential Functional Competencies: Analysis, Judgement and Decision-Making; Client and Service Orientation; Innovation and Facilitating Change, and; Planning and Organizing.
- Essential Technical Competencies: Comprehensive background and understanding of subjects related to systems analysis, programming and training. Problem solving and troubleshooting complex issues independently and within a team. Excellent knowledge in collaborative systems and tools, especially with Microsoft SharePoint sites and Office365 using related APIs, web parts from across Office 365, including Teams, Groups, OneDrive and Exchange. Excellent knowledge of Database technology and experienced with Microsoft SQL Server. Excellent knowledge in web technology, especially with Microsoft SharePoint using .NET and C# and WordPress using PHP. ITIL Foundation v3 or v4 Certificate would be an advantage.
University degree in computer science, mathematics, engineering, business administration, management information systems or a related field OR education from a reputed college of advanced education, with a diploma of equivalent standard to that of a university degree in one of the fields above.
At least three years of progressively responsible experience in the field of the post. An advanced degree in a related field can be considered as a substitute for one year of working experience. A doctorate in a related field can be considered as a substitute for two years of working experience. Experience in the usage of desktop development and team collaborative tools including Web sites and their integration in the client/server database and networking environment.
Knowledge of one of the six official languages of the Union (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish) at advanced level and knowledge of a second official language at intermediate level. Knowledge of a third official language would be an advantage. (Under the provisions of Resolution No. 626 of the Council, a relaxation of the language requirements may be authorized in the case of candidates from developing countries: when candidates from such countries possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official languages of the Union, their applications may be taken into consideration.)
Total annual salary consists of a net annual salary (net of taxes and before medical insurance and pension fund deductions) in US dollars and a post adjustment (PA) (cost of living allowance). The PA is variable and subject to change without notice in accordance with the rates as set within the UN Common System for salaries and allowances.
Details on duties, responsibilities and qualifications may be accessed on the ITU’s website: http://www.itu.int/emplpyment/Recruitment/index,html
Applicants for the posts are advised to state their nationality, quote the vacancy notice number and address applications with completed ITU Personal History Form (PHF) to the undersigned so as to reach him not later than 29th June, 2020 respectively. The post applied for should be clearly marked on top of the envelope.
Deadline for application submissions to TCRA: 29th June, 2020
Applications from women are highly encouraged.
ITU is an equal opportunity employer
Applications should be addressed to:
Tanzania Communications Regulatory Authority,
20 Sam Nujoma Road,
P.O. Box 474,
14414, DAR ES SALAAM