Senior Advisor, Organizational Capacity Building
The Senior Advisor, Organizational Capacity Building, will provide capacity development support for local organizations partnering with CIHEB to operate as fully independent, strategically positioned prime recipients of U.S. Government and other sponsor funds. The position will be expected to work with local organization leadership on both governance and management issues and play the role of coach for local organization leaders and directors, as needed. This position will support the local organizations and respective leaders to develop a “tone at the top” that promotes transparency, fairness, good stewardship of funds, and ensures fulfillment of organizational governance and fiduciary obligations, as well as programmatic deliverables. A key component of this position will involve supporting the local organizations to develop independent governance, risk management, finance, and grants and contracts structures. This position will work closely with CIHEB leadership, an external firm conducting robust operations assessments to evaluate organizational compliance and effectiveness, and the MGIC Board.
- Provide expert, organizational development guidance and authoritative advice to improve organizational responsiveness, transparency, effectiveness, and efficiency of CIHEB’s local partners as fully independent entities.
- Implement key interventions and strategies to identify, assess and improve issues impacting local organization staff, performance and structures. This may include training, coaching, facilitation, employee engagement and change management.
- Implement innovative approaches to ensure the effectiveness of training and organizational development projects and initiatives. Apply a wide range of qualitative or quantitative methods to measure efficiency, identify problems, improve effectiveness, and recommend corrective measures or alternative approaches for implementation by management. Develop new or modified development plans and processes as needed.
- Provide capacity building support to local organizations on strategic planning, leadership, and management.
- Build capacity of local organization Boards to fulfill their strategic, governance, and fiduciary mandates.
- Support local organizations to foster a strong ethical culture and healthy, supportive working environment for employees.
- Build the capacity of local organizations to design necessary policies and procedures for financial and risk management, procurement, and administrative operations, including, but not limited to prudent fiscal management, value-for-money procurement, and use of organizational resources in line with U.S. Government rules and regulations, as well as applicable local and international laws.
- Oversee the development and implementation of performance monitoring plans to track progress, identify issues and drive evidence-based interventions.
- Identify areas of risk and develop a matrix with thresholds for response actions should risks not be adequately addressed by local organization leadership.
- Implement Grants and Contracts Management
oSupport and develop a process for sourcing for and applying for US federal grants, including but not limited to registering and maintaining registration with relevant agencies such NCAGE, SAM, Grants.gov, eRA Commons, Grant Assist, Grant Solutions, etc.
- Ensure results, impact, innovations, and lessons learned are documented and disseminated.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Advanced degree in business, organizational development, or similar.
- Fluency in English (speaking, reading, and writing).
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- At least 10 years of experience in capacity building and mentorship, including at least 5 in the international humanitarian or development sectors.
- Prior grants or contracts management experience preferred.
- Prior experience leading and managing a multi-disciplinary team in a cross-cultural environment, including recruitment, staff development, training, coaching, and performance assessment preferred.
- Prior experience building the capacity of local partners in sub-Saharan Africa preferred.
- Must have proven knowledge and prior experience with US government rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated financial and risk management experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to create efficiencies and lead organizational transformation in complex programs or projects.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing; proven diplomatic and public relation skills.
- Willingness to travel internationally up to 40%.
Closing date 20 Jun 2020