Senior Private Sector Specialist
Job #: req6446
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Private Sector Development
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Dar Es Salaam,Tanzania
Required Language(s): English, Swahili
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank consists of two entities – the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA). It is a global development cooperative owned by 189 member countries. As the largest development bank in the world, the World Bank provides loans, guarantees, risk management products, and advisory services to middle-income and creditworthy low-income countries, and coordinates responses to regional and global challenges. For more information, please visit www.worldbank.org.
The Finance, Competitiveness and Innovation (FCI) Global Practice combines expertise in the financial sector with expertise in private sector development to foster private-sector led growth and help create markets in client countries. FCI’s core lines of business are: (a) Financial Stability & Integrity; (b) Financial Inclusion, Infrastructure & Access; (c) Firm Capabilities & Innovation; (d) Long-Term Finance; (e) Climate & Risk Management; (f) Markets and Technology; and (g) Investment and Competition. For more information, please visit https://www.worldbank.org/en/about/unit/fci
To assist with its growing and complex work program, FCI seeks to hire an experienced and highly motivated professional to join our team based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, where s/he would serve on the FCI team supporting the Tanzania CMU countries and foremost the programs focusing on Tanzania, with some flexibility as business priorities and needs evolve to lend cross-support to operations in the other CMU countries of Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe, or elsewhere agreed with the Practice Manager.
With the largest economy and population in the East Africa Community (EAC), Tanzania is quickly approaching middle-income status but struggling to improve economic productivity that would create enough jobs for its fast-growing youth population. Transformation to a more modern industrialized economy that would accelerate job growth and higher incomes requires the strengthening of investment climate and conducive government policies for increasing private investment and entrepreneurship. Support to financially inclusive, gender-empowered private sector growth agenda is enshrined in the SCD and CPF, and at the heart of EFI and FCI dialogue with the authorities, which are demanding increasing assistance from FCI on this agenda. With 2020 being a year of national elections, the timing is critical to support the client’s commitment to structural reforms necessary to unlock economic growth, by strengthening the Bank’s engagement and expert resources around financial and private sector development and competitiveness issues.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Amongst other things, the candidate will be expected to:
- Contribute to the policy dialogue on issues relating to investment, trade, private sector and financial sector development, while actively participating and contributing to multi-sectoral teams involved in policy-based discussions/operations.
- Contribute to or lead specific operational activities at all stages of the project cycle for ASA and Lending Operations, including participation in the design and development of specific project components, and supporting the implementation of ongoing FCI projects/activities.
- Work closely with the lead FCI specialist / FCI country team/ Program Leaders/Country Economists and CMUs to ensure the integration of relevant financial and private sector issues in country strategies, SCDs/CPFs and work programs and country policy dialogue and engagement.
- Under the guidance of the lead FCI specialist, perform quality research and analytical tasks on a wide range of operational, country and sector issues, providing expert interpretation of information/data, identifying key pertinent issues and recommending targeted actions/solutions.
- Coordinate and Participate as a member of FCI missions (preparation, appraisal, supervision), conduct independent discussions with client representatives on selected problems and issues identified by task managers, and participate in negotiations.
- Develop effective coordination mechanisms on policy dialogue and ASA dissemination with the Global Practices and donors.
- Support the FCI team in the preparation of briefing material on country program/sector and project issues and follows up on portfolio issues. Produce technical notes, briefings, presentations, etc. as requested by Management.
- Business Development: cultivate strategic relationships with country clients and the CMU.
- Knowledge Management, and Teamwork: promote synergies across product teams, providing support through trouble shooting, anticipating problems and solving them.
This job requires a seasoned Private Sector Development (PSD) professional with strong technical and operational skills and good understanding of the financial sector agenda. He/she will have demonstrated an ability to manage and mentor teams effectively and deliver results on the ground. The following qualifications will be considered:
- Masters level or equivalent qualification with minimum 8 years of relevant professional experience in the areas of finance, business, management, economics or related discipline.
- The ideal candidate should have solid knowledge and experience in the one or more topic areas: trade policy and facilitation, business environment and investment climate, investment policy and promotion, regulatory governance, competitive industries and sectors, SME innovation, entrepreneurship, competition policy and issues, as well as good understanding of financial sector issues. Working experience in Tanzania, and the broader Africa region would be an added advantage.
- A combination of experience inside and outside (including in the private sector or the government) the World Bank Group (including familiarity with Bank Group products, policies and procedures), and within the Bank have experience of lending projects and/or ASA activities would be ideal.
- Proven capacity to engage in and influence policy discussions at the country level on trade, investment and competitiveness issues.
- Possess strong internal and external client engagement skills and ability to collaborate and work across boundaries.
- Outstanding judgment on operational, country, and practice issues. Strong results focus, with a track record of leading teams to deliver high impact projects and activities. Knowledge and practical experience of Africa region/east African countries would be an advantage.
- Should be a mature professional with a demonstrated ability to mentor and incentivize teams, inspire confidence in senior country officials, and work in a culturally diverse environment.
- Fluent in English and Swahili.
The candidate should meet WBG Core Competencies. For information about WBG Core Competencies, please visit: https://bit.ly/2kbIA7O
Poverty has no borders, neither does excellence. We succeed because of our differences and we continuously search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe.
Closing Date: 4/5/2020 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC