I. POSITION INFORMATION
Vacancy Announcement IOM/DAR/003/2020
Position title Senior Project Assistant
Position grade G-6
Duty station Dar es Salaam, United Republic of Tanzania
II. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Under the overall supervision of Project Manager and the direct supervision of the National Officer – Identity Management in Dar es Salaam, the successful candidate
will be responsible for assisting in the implementation of activities under IOM Tanzania’s Migrant Registration Support for Tanzania project.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Provide administrative and logistical assistance in the implementation of the Migrant Registration Support for Tanzania project.
- Participate in official meetings of the project, including with the donor and project counterparts, to promote and assess project outcomes and activities.
- Draft and compile project documents, particularly activity reports and sitreps.
- Draft and compile project documents, particularly donor narrative reports, to be reviewed by the Project Manager.
- Oversee, in coordination with the Project Manager, all monitoring and evaluation of the project, including tracking that project targets are being met through the use of predefined indicators; assist in ensuring results-based monitoring and reporting.
- Organize and lead the preparations for numerous trainings/workshops/conferences for the project.
- Organize and lead the preparations for numerous trainings of Tanzanian Authorities to address the challenges of mixed migration.
- In coordination with the Project Manager, liaise with government partners and local
authorities on the implementation of the project.
- Lead and oversee the preparations for numerous biometric registration fairs throughout Tanzania in coordination with ICT colleagues and the Project Manager.
- Ensure and monitor the implementation of capacity-building initiatives on identity and border management, assist on the organization of competency-based training needs assessments and mainstreaming such training within national border management training programmes.
- Assist the Programme Coordinator in managing the core processes of inter-agency collaboration, within the One UN cooperation and operational dynamics in Tanzania.
- Under the supervision of the Programme Coordinator, lead cross-cutting efforts
from within IOM Tanzania’s projects/programmes, with IOM’s UNDAP and joint
programming commitments, with focus on IOM-relevant outcome and thematic results
- Draft clear and concise official letters, minutes and activity reports in English and
compile, summarize, and present information/ data on specific project related topics, for
example for Facebook, Twitter and other external publications.
- Attend and track internal and external meetings, including with ONE UN partners, as may be delegated by the supervisor.
- Undertake duty travel, as required.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
The incumbent is expected to have the following
Values – All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner
consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed
manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability
and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
• Displays a high level of cultural awareness, sensitivity to different ways of working
and leverages individual strengths in order to build a better team.
• Shares credit for team accomplishments and ensures that the contribution of others
• Helps create a positive team spirit, putting aside personal considerations to help the
team achieve its goals.
• Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs.
• Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing
• Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required
resources and outputs.
• Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good
understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal
Managing & Sharing Knowledge
• Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to
knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise.
• Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that
knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
• Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and
ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge.
• Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
• Proactively seeks responsibility in delivering towards the goals of the Organization.
• Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments
are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
• Stands by the actions of team or department, publicly accepting ownership.
• Takes responsibility of own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where
• Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
• Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the
confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
• Listens and seeks to understand without bias and responds appropriately.
• Shares information and keeps others up to date; actively seeks others’ views and
ideas and respects their contribution.
• Assigns responsibilities fairly and manages performance, taking account of individual
strengths, workloads and interests.
• Is inclusive in decision-making and actively seeks feedback from team members and
colleagues in order to identify opportunities for improvement.
• Takes sound and timely managerial decisions that are consistent with the
Organization’s vision and purpose.
• Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders to
understand needs and gain support.
Empowering others & building trust
• Delegates appropriately to make the most of others’ talents, clarifying expectations
and allowing autonomy in important areas while providing necessary support.
• Encourages others to take responsibility for their performance; promotes
ownership, responsibility and accountability for desired results at all levels.
• Creates an atmosphere of trust and confidence in which others can talk and act
without fear of repercussion.
• Gives proper credit to others, shows appreciation and rewards achievement and
Strategic thinking & vision
• Aligns own actions to the Organization’s vision, values and mandate.
• Translates strategic direction into short and medium-term plans and objectives for
own team; revises objectives to reflect changes in organizational goals.
• Identifies key issues/priorities in complex situations and how they may be related to
• Clearly communicates links between the Organization’s strategy and the work unit’s
V. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in Administration, Law or Political Social Science, Migration
Studies, Biometrics or other related field with at least four years of relevant
professional experience; or,
• High school degree with at least six years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project work with International NGO’s and/or International
Organizations in Tanzania.
• Knowledge and experience of M&E required.
• Experience in monitoring of projects activities
• Experience in liaison with the Tanzanian Government.
• Familiarity with biometrics and identity management advantageous.
• Familiarity with the Tanzania Immigration Services Department a distinct advantage.
• Fluency in both English and Kiswahili, written and spoken, required.
• Working knowledge of French and/or Kirundi advantageous.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should fill in the PH form, submit CV’s and cover letter indicating
Vacancy Notice number with 3 professional references and contacts to email@example.com
(Only E-mail applications will be accepted)
Kindly note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted & Vacancy is only open for Tanzanian nationals.
For further information, please refer to: https://tanzania.iom.int/
Posting period: From 22nd January 2020 – 04th February 2020
The post Senior Project Assistant Job Opportunity at IOM Tanzania, Deadline 4 February 2020 appeared first on Ajira Zetu.